Like it or not, leadership transitions are inevitable
Succession planning is integral to the ongoing planning efforts of the well-managed organization. Solid Ground approaches the process as a subset of strategic planning to insure sustainable leadership for the organization. Our focus isn’t limited to retiring executives because organizations also need a plan that supports ongoing leadership development.
We offer two types of succession plans:
- The Emergency Succession Plan provides a roadmap for the board and leadership team to guide them through an unplanned leadership transition. We think of this as more of an interim management plan.
- The Strategic Succession Plan offers a long-range view of staff leadership in the organization that drives leadership development. The plan provides the framework for a seamless leadership transition.
Leadership transitions are a powerful opportunity to strengthen the organization.
Leadership transitions occur in every organization. They happen for any number of reasons, both planned and unplanned. Leadership transitions are transformational and offer a powerful opportunity to strengthen the organization – if a thoughtful plan is in place. Poorly planned and badly managed, transitions can lead to crisis, followed by a sharp drop in effectiveness and sometimes organizational failure.
Our expertise in succession planning helps ensure your organization:
- Is prepared for an unplanned leadership transition
- Has a clear, fresh perspective on the organization’s leadership needs based on the long-range strategic plan
- Enjoys a pipeline of strong and capable leaders ready to expand their leadership roles as needed
- Capitalizes on the tremendous team-building and staff retention value of succession planning and associated leadership development activities